top of page


LEGAL MUSCLE USA lawyers represent clients everyday in a variety of immigration matters, including deportation/removal defense, asylum, business immigration, family-based immigration,

naturalization and citizenship and nonimmigrant visas.


Whenever someone enters the United States on a visa (or using the Visa Waiver Program), that person is given a date by which he or she must leave.


For some visitors, such as tourists and seasonal workers, the required departure date may be a few months away. For others, such as students or workers,


it may be several years away. If your departure day passes, and you overstay your visa, you're in the United States unlawfully.


There's not much difference under U.S. immigration law between someone who enters unlawfully, without a visa, and someone who stays past the time permitted.


When you overstay, you become what's called "out of status." If immigration officials catch up with you, will will likely be removed, and face further consequences.


This article will help you understand when your permitted stay expires and the consequences of being in the U.S. without immigration status.


Contact LEGAL MUSCLE USA to better understand your immigration needs.


U.S. Immigration Officials Decide How Long You Can Stay in the USA.


Your visa is merely an entry document; it doesn't state how long you can stay in the United States.


When you arrive, a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer decides whether to allow you to come into the country and if so, how long you can stay.


It's possible that the officer could turn you away.


The officer makes the final decision and if you stay past the date on your Form I-94 you are in the country illegally, your visa is automatically cancelled.


Q: What type of visa do I need if I want to visit the United States for a short time?

A:You'll need a visitor visa if you're a citizen of a foreign country who wants to temporarily visit the US.


Q: Does it matter if my temporary visit to the US is for business or for pleasure?

A: You need a B-1 visa if you're visiting for business reasons. You need a B-2 visa if you're visiting for pleasure.


Q: Which visa do I need if I have to temporarily visit the USA for medical treatment?

A: You'll need a B-2 visa.


Q: If I plan to run a business in the US, can I just get a B-1 visa?

A: No, you'll need a working visa and not a visitor visa.


Q: Do I need a working visa if I am conducting interviews and hiring employees?

A: No, a B-1 visitor visa is usually enough.


Q: Once I receive my visitor visa, am I guaranteed entrance into the USA?

A: You're visa only allows you to visit the US port-of-entry. It doesn't guarantee you'll get in. A US Officer decides whether you can enter into the USA.


Q: Where do I apply for a visitor visa?

A: You should apply for a visitor visa at the US Embassy or Consulate that has authority over where you permanently live.


Q: Will I have an interview as part of my visa application process?

A: In most cases, you have to have an interview before a visa will be issued.


Q: How long will I have to wait for my interview appointment or for my visa to be processed?

A:The US Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, will provide you the wait times for interviews and visa processing on its website.


Q: What documentation and forms do I need to apply for a visitor visa?

A: You'll need a photograph, a valid passport and a completed DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application form.


Check your US Embassy or Consulate to find out if additional documentation is required.


Q: Does it cost money to apply for a visitor visa?

A: You must pay a processing fee to apply for a visa. You may also have to pay an issuance fee once the visa is issued.


The issuance fee is based on what your country charges US citizens for the same type of visa.


Q: I only need to travel to the US for 30 days. Is there any way to waive the visitor visa requirement?

A: You may be able to travel to the US without obtaining a visa through the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The stay must be for 90 days or less and be for tourism or business reasons.


Q: Does every country belong to the Visa Waiver Program?

A: Only 36 countries participate in the program.

Thanks! Message sent.


bottom of page